Speedway Children's Charities Offers Wide Array of Events During August Races at Bristol Motor Speedway
Since its inception in 1996, the Bristol Chapter of Speedway Children's Charities (SCC) has raised more than $7.5 million in support of children's agencies in Northeast Tennessee and Southwest Virginia - a feat made possible by the organization's loyal supporters.
"Each year, we are humbled by the support we receive from our community and the loyal fans of Bristol Motor Speedway," said Claudia Byrd, executive director of the Bristol Chapter of Speedway Children's Charities. "In 2013 their generosity enabled us to distribute more than $742,000 to 87 children's agencies in the region. Through continuing contributions and our full schedule of events, our goal is to exceed those expectations in 2014."
SCC offers guests of Bristol Motor Speedway (BMS) numerous ways to contribute ranging from the new Night Race 5K and 4th annual NRA Shooting Stars Tournament to the Live Memorabilia Auction and on-property purchase of Krispy Kreme doughnuts.
A full list of August 2014 race week events benefiting the Bristol Chapter of Speedway Children's Charities includes:
- 16th Annual Speedway Children's Charities Golf Tournament presented by Baker's Construction Services - Held Monday, Aug. 18 at Tri-Cities Golf Course in Blountville, Tenn., teams of four are treated to lunch before heading out to play 18 holes of golf at the challenging course. The day begins with registration at 10 a.m., lunch is served at 11 a.m. and the tournament with a shotgun start at noon. Cost to field a four-man team is $750. SCC thanks TeleOptics, JA Street and Associates, HVAC and Pepsi for their support of this event.
- NRA Shooting Stars Tournament - Test your marksmanship against some of NASCAR's rising stars at the 4th annual NRA Shooting Stars Tournament. Participants in the Tuesday, Aug. 19 event are outfitted with a .22 handgun and ammunition before taking aim at 15 different targets. Cost for the event, held at Shooter's Edge Indoor Range in Piney Flats, Tenn., are $100 for individual entries and $650 for teams of four. Dinner is provided by Riverfront Seafood Company.
- Memorabilia Live Auction - Purchase items from your favorite racing teams including sheet metal, autographed jackets, rides with NASCAR's stars and much more at the Thursday, Aug. 21 auction. Plus, find out which of the sport's current stars is kicking off the night by playing auctioneer for their own piece of memorabilia. Preview items on the 3rd floor of The Bruton Smith Building beginning at 5 p.m. The live auction begins at 6 p.m.
- The Night Race 5K - New for 2014, Bristol Motor Speedway fans can race on the high banks of the Last Great Colosseum during the Thursday, Aug. 21 Night Race 5K. Participants are provided the full night race experience as the course winds around the property through the Speedway, Bristol Dragway and on-site campgrounds. After crossing the finish line, runners are invited to cool down with some live music and cheer the NASCAR haulers as they fill the BMS infield. The 5K starts at 8:30 p.m. and space is limited to 500 participants.
- Richard Petty Driving Experience Ride-Alongs - Suit up and take a ride around the World's Fastest Half Mile with the Richard Petty Driving Experience. From 5:30 p.m. - 8:30 p.m. on Thursday, Aug. 21 participants have their chance to experience the pressure of the high banks as they circle Bristol Motor Speedway. Cost is $159 per person, and pre-registration is required. Riders must be at least 14 years old or stand taller than 4-ft. and weigh a minimum of 80 lbs.
- Flex Seal Charity Cornhole Classic - Toss the beanbags for a chance at the 2014 Grand Prize Pack - $1,000 cash, 2015 IRWIN Tools Night Race suite seats and free Aug. 2015 camping space - in the 2014 Charity Cornhole Classic. Two qualifying tournaments are scheduled for Friday, Aug. 22 at 10 a.m. and 2 p.m. and two for Saturday, Aug. 23 at 9 a.m. and 1 p.m. First place teams in each qualifier earning two grandstand tickets for the 2015 Food City 500, and the top four teams from each match advance to the Championship Tournament, set for 3 p.m. on Saturday, Aug. 23. Entry is $40 per team with each player receiving a souvenir t-shirt. No top 120 ACO world-ranked players as of Jan. 1, 2014 may enter.
- Krispy Kreme Booth Sales - Race fans can purchase their HOT NOW doughnuts benefitting the Bristol chapter of Speedway Children's Charities Friday, Aug. 22 and Saturday, Aug. 23 at the Krispy Kreme Booth located in the display lot alongside Beaver Creek.
- Sharky 500 Tickets - Purchase your chance to win the Bristol Motor Speedway Pace Car in the Sharky 500. Each $10 ticket buys the entrant a rubber shark for the Oct. 11 race down Beaver Creek with the owner of the winning shark driving off in the 2014 IRWIN Tools Night Race Ford Mustang. Prizes are also awarded to sharks placing 2nd - 10th. Participants do not have to be present to win.
- Ultimate Experience Online Auction - Bid to win the ultimate race day experience at Bristol Motor Speedway. Experience packages include the opportunity to ride with Carl Edwards, Tony Stewart, Kevin Harvick, Danica Patrick and others during driver introductions as well as cold pit passes for the IRWIN Tools Night Race. Auction items also include an all access pass to BMS and the chance to act as spotter for a day. Auction is open online Aug. 4 - 18.
Proceeds or a portion of the proceeds from all events benefit the Bristol Chapter of Speedway Children's Charities. For more information on participating in these August race week events or to learn more about Speedway Children's Charities, visit Bristol.SpeedwayCharities.org.