BMS to Commemorate Gordon's Last Ride
It's a bittersweet thing, welcoming Jeff Gordon to his final battle in the Last Great Colosseum.
At the August 22 IRWIN Tools Night Race, for the first time in years, guests will get to see Gordon run in his iconic Rainbow Warrior paint scheme. But it'll be his last appearance at Bristol Motor Speedway (BMS) as a full-time Sprint Cup driver, and emotions will be high.
A standout at BMS since his first race in 1993, the four-time Sprint Cup Champion has accumulated more than 21,500 laps around the half-mile, and led for 2,713 of those. In 45 starts at Bristol, he has five victories, 17 top-five finishes, 25 top -10 finishes and five poles.
"Jeff Gordon has given us more than two decades of superb racing and sportsmanship, and racked up an amazing record that includes a four-year win streak at the spring race," said Jerry Caldwell, general manager of BMS. "He's a large presence in the life and history of this track, and it's an honor for us to salute him."
Several honors for Gordon are in the works for the IRWIN Tools Night Race, including:
- A tribute video during opening ceremonies.
- A fan salute on lap 24 of the race, when fans will cheer on the No. 24 car with branded rally towels. More than 100,000 towels will be distributed at the gates, courtesy of Bristol Motor Speedway.
- Branding of the outside track wall with No. 24.
- A custom-designed cover for the souvenir programs, created by motorsports artist Sam Bass. Featuring Gordon's No. 24 Axalta Chevrolet, the programs are limited edition and available for $10, tax included. In addition, collectors' t-shirts are available in Speedway World, located in the Bruton Smith Building, and in select souvenir stands on grounds.
- A tribute wall, located in the fan zone, where guests can leave personalized notes. Signage throughout the facility will also honor the champion.
Advance tickets to the IRWIN Tools Night Race tickets start at $74 for single-day access with weekend packages as low as $99. All single-day tickets increase $5 beginning Sunday, Aug. 16th. For more information, visit BristolTix.com or call (855) 580-5525.