Four More Drivers Added To Scottz EZ Seed Showdown Lineup
Bristol Motor Speedway officials today announced the addition of four more drivers to the lineup for the March 20 running of the Scotts EZ Seed Showdown.
Dave Marcis, a veteran of 883 Cup Series races, and Tommy Houston, a mainstay of the NASCAR Nationwide Series, will make their debuts in the exciting event which was a huge fan favorite a year ago.
Jimmy Hensley, the Virginia Gentleman, also will make his first start in the race, while Phil Parsons returns after competing last season.
The 68-year-old Marcis, a five-time Cup Series winner, made 54 starts at the "World's Fastest Half-Mile" during his career. He misses the thrill of competition and eagerly awaits the race in March.
"I hope to be competitive and want to win the race," he said. "We all want to say that though. As long as we are in a good car, I think I'm capable of doing the rest. I know everyone at Bristol is doing a good job to keep the cars equal, so I think it will be a good show. It will be nice to see everyone again. I haven't seen some of the fellows in a long time. It will be a lot of fun and I'm sure the race fans will enjoy it very, very much."
The fans also will enjoy seeing Marcis' trademark wingtips once more.
"I'll be wearing them," he said proudly. "I wore a pair when I ran my last cup race in Daytona in February 2002 and I'll have a pair on in Bristol."
While Houston may not be famous for his footwear, he made a name for himself as one of the Nationwide Series' greatest drivers.
In 2008, Houston was inducted into the National Motorsports Press Association Hall of Fame for his legendary career in the series. He was the first driver to record 300 and 400 career starts. He earned 24 victories and led the division in starts with 417 until Jason Keller broke the record in 2007.
Despite the fact that he has not raced full-time since 1996, Houston is confident he can be one of the drivers near the front of the pack in March.
"I know I can do it," said the 64-year-old. "We quit racing in '96 because we couldn't afford it. No one is going to give a guy my age sponsorship. It was hard to do. But I'm looking forward to this deal. I think I can still get the job done with the right kind of equipment."
Hensley, who finished in the Top-10 in both of his Cup Series starts at Bristol, is known for his short track abilities. With nine Top-10 finishes in 16 Nationwide Series starts, Hensley hopes it doesn't take too long to shake off the rust.
"I always ran well there," the 64-year-old Hensley said. "I don't know why. It really bothers me though that I never won a race there. I led some races and just had mechanical problems or was involved in wrecks that knocked me out of contention. It is a fun race track, a very demanding track. If things happen in front of you, a lot of times you can't avoid them. It is pretty exciting."
"I don't know what to expect. I look forward to seeing some old friends; to laugh and carry on. I'm excited about getting back to racing. I want to; I just hope I don't embarrass myself."
Parsons, the only driver of this quartet who competed last year, also will race in this year's event.
Cale Yarborough, Charlie Glotzbach, Jack Ingram and L.D. Ottinger were announced in August as the first 2010 Scotts EZ Seed Showdown competitors. The final four drivers will be announced at a later date.
Fans at the track on March 20 also will get to see the up-and-coming stars of the Nationwide Series in the Scotts Turf Builder 300.
Tickets, which include both races plus Nationwide Series qualifying and Sprint Cup Series practice, start at $47 and are available by calling the BMS ticket office at 423-BRISTOL or by visiting www.youbelongatbristol.com. Tickets also are still available for the March 21 Food City 500 Sprint Cup Series race